Wednesday, 20 April 2016

'W.W.W Wednesdays' (What I've been reading)




Spotted this meme today and thought I'd give it a go, since, I'm reading way too many things at the moment. It's getting to be a bad habit, I really need to finish one book before I start a new one. Hosted by Taking on a World of Words, to join in just answer the below three questions, leave your link and go have a look at what everyone's reading:

1. What are you currently reading? 2. What did you just finish reading? 3. What will you read next?


What I'm reading:

Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup (Previously published as 'Q&A')

I bought this in a second hand bookshop for a quid and it's an easy read. I loved the film and although some of the story strands are quite different, the premise is the same and I'm liking the characters. 

The Scapegoat by Daphne Du Maurier

I re-watched the ITV mini-series the other day and I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I ordered the book from Amazon and (although I've just started it) it's good so far. It's a bit different from the series (it's set in France??) and I'm interested to see how close the TV version followed the story. 

The Black Moon by Winston Graham 

The fifth book of the Poldark saga, I took a break between this book and the last one just to let my anger at Ross cool off a bit! The Black Moon was one of my favourites in the series the first time round, I think the introduction of Drake and Morwenna freshens the story up a bit.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Still going with this one! Probably the reason I'm reading so many other things. I enjoy it while I'm actually reading, but if I leave it a few days it feels like a chore to go back to.




What I just finished reading:


Lady Susan by Jane Austen

Having watched the trailer for the new film Love and Friendship, which is based on this book, I thought I better get acquainted with the story. I'm a big Jane Austen fan, but I've never read any of her un-finished stuff before, because I thought it would be too annoying to have the story cut off part-way through (Midnight Sun still tortures me.)  But it turns out Lady Susan is finished - kind of. It's an epistolary novel (told through letters - a bit like Love, Rosie...) but the letters cut off towards the end and Jane Austen just sort of summarises what happens next. So is it finished? Or was she going to put the rest in letters too?  Either way, I thought it was great. It's nice and short, it made me laugh and although you can tell it's an early work, I quite liked that. It had a sort of youthful, more playful voice. Would recommend!




What I want to read next:

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

I've been watching The Durrells on a Sunday night and it really isn't what I expected. I'd heard of My Family and Other Animals but I thought it was something to do with vets. Apparently not. The series is based on Gerald Durrell's 'Corfutrilogy and is basically about a family who move to Greece and what happens while they're there. Once I knew the gist I was expecting it to be like Our Zoo, but it's a bit more adult than that. The kids aren't perfect and they kind of annoyed me at first, but really I quite like how flawed they all are. It's funnier and more realistic. Keeley Hawes is great, and last week Leslie Caron showed up (as in from Gigi and An American in Paris.)  I didn't even know she was alive, never mind still acting and looking beautiful.  Anyway, we found an old copy of the first book out in the shed (where the books that don't fit in our house are currently rotting away) and it's first on my TBR list. After I finish all of the above, that is.




Read any of these or joining in with W.W.W Wednesday? Let me know in the comments :D 



8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Slumdog a lot! It's definitely a bit different from the movie but a good read nonetheless.

    I haven't heard of My Family and Other Animals. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that one :)

    Here's my WWW - http://www.quiteanovelidea.com/2016/04/www-wednesday-4-20-16.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really liking Slumdog so far even with the differences! And the Durrells series is good so I'm hoping the book will be too :)

      Delete
  2. Glad to know 'Slumdog Millionaire' is a good book as well. I adore the movie and especially the music. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The music is great! Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  3. I loved the movie, Slumdog Millionaire. I would love to read the book. Glad to see that you are enjoying it so far. I love the fact that you have some classics on your post. I really struggle with reading classics and one of the books that intimidates me the most is War and Peace although I want to read Karenina.

    Enjoy your books though and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D War and Peace is an easier read than I was expecting, it's even quite funny in places. I just get a bit bored at the war stuff, when there's no female characters around!

      Delete
  4. Slumdog Millionaire is one of those movies I want to finish but probably can't - I tried twice but couldn't get past the eyeball-spooning scene! I might get the book if the premise is the same :D I love that trailer for Love and Friendship -- I'd never heard of Lady Susan, but now I'll be keeping an eye for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not heard of Lady Susan either, it was a good find! And my mum's the exact same with Slumdog Millionaire - I think the eyeball spooning scene's the most intense part though, haha.

      Delete