No prince for Moana? Favourite Romantic Disney Moments




It's recently been announced that the newest Disney heroine, Polynesian princess Moana, will not have a love interest. And I guess that's good -  female empowerment and all that. So is it wrong for me to feel a little disappointed? I liked Brave well enough, and it felt right that Frozen's Queen Elsa didn't meet a handsome prince (she had a lot on her plate after all, where would she have found the time?) But call me old-fashioned, I like romance in my princess movies. At least as a B story-line. Mulan, for example, wasn't about the romance with Shang, but the love story added something extra without taking away from Mulan's journey. Is it bad to want that for Moana too?

There are some stunning romantic scenes in Disney, and the newer films can do the 'mushy stuff' just as well as ever - Rapunzel and Flynn in Tangled are the perfect example of how to get it right. From what I can see, the best loved Disney films have romance in them, and so to remind you just what Moana will be missing, here are some of my favourite romantic Disney moments!



Once Upon a Dream
Sleeping Beauty (1959)



"Do you want to stay forever?"
Mulan (1998)



Kiss the Girl
The Little Mermaid (1989)



"I'd rather die tomorrow, than live a hundred years without knowing you."
Pocahontas (1995)



A Whole New World
Aladdin (1992)




The Beast shows Belle the library
Beauty and the Beast (1991)



I See the Light
Tangled (2010)



Do you have a favourite romantic scene from Disney? A favourite couple or prince? Let me know in the comments!






Comments

  1. Aww! I love Disney so much hehe!! Yeah, I'm totally cool with Moana not having a love interest. I admit I'm a total romantic, though. I do usually like there to be some kind of romance in a story. And excellent point - having a subtle romance in Mulan obviously didn't distract from how cool and independent Mulan was. :D
    But who knows? If Moana does well, maybe she'll get a sequel and a cute romance of her own. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh maybe - like they did for poor Quasimodo! I'm a romantic too, but I'm sure Moana will still be great :)

      Delete
  2. I understand why Disney is slowly taking romance out of their animated movies, considering it's become synonymous with damsel-in-distress for a while (though I think the argument can be made that only a few of the princesses couldn't help themselves). I do love their romance though! My favourite is the ending of Beauty and the Beast, where Belle looked into his eyes and went 'it is you!' <3 Also, I See the Light is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, that is a great scene - so many lovely bits in Beauty and the Beast! I think you're right about the damsel in the distress thing too, I'd say from Ariel onwards they seem to look after themselves pretty well :)

      Delete
  3. This: "But call me old-fashioned, I like romance in my princess movies. At least as a B story-line. Mulan, for example, wasn't about the romance with Shang, but the love story added something extra without taking away from Mulan's journey. Is it bad to want that for Moana too?"

    I agree! "Mulan" doesn't focus on the romance, but it's there, and it adds that "extra" something to the script without short changing Mulan's journey as a person. Loved it. I've not seen "Moana," but it does look cute. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Moana was really good actually, it didn't matter that she didn't have a love interest to be honest, haha, and I'm glad they didn't put one in just for the sake of it. But I did miss the romance a little bit. Mulan definitely gets the balance best!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts