Wednesday, 12 October 2016

WWW Wednesday: Magicians, Kings and Singletons

 


Happy Wednesday people. WWW Wednesday is a meme hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words (a similar one is 'This week in Books' at Lipsyy Lost and Found.) To join in answer the three 'W' questions below and leave your link. I'm bending the rules a bit this week as I'm not reading anything just now (shock horror!) and including two books I've recently finished instead.

 
What did you just finish reading?
What are you currently reading?
What will you read next?
 
 
I recently finished... The Prestige by Christopher Priest. I love the film and was surprised to discover it was based on a book - but I can sort of see why the book isn't particularly well known. It was a bit dull. The film definitely improved on it, while sticking pretty close to the story. Read my book vs film review here.
 
I only just finished... The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman, which was really great. To give you an idea of how much I liked this book, The Prestige was a quarter of it's length and it took me months to finish. I read this in a week. As a converted Ricardian (after reading The Daughter of Time) this 'novel of Richard the Third' was right up my street. The ending was pretty devastating but I'd prepared myself for that. And I went and watched his funeral procession on Youtube to give me some closure...
 
Next I'm planning to read...  Bridget Jones' Baby: The Diaries by Helen Fielding. I loved the first two books, but tried and failed to get enthusiastic about middle-aged Bridget in Mad About the Boy. Especially after I realised that a major character was dead. This new book is a re-jigging of the columns written about Bridget between books two and three, which the new film was based on. And I loved the new film (go see it! It's at least as good as Edge of Reason, even without Daniel) so I'm going to give this a try.
 
 
 
 

Have you got a WWW this week? Have you seen the new Bridget Jones or read any Sharon Kay Penman? Let me know in the comments!
 
 
 
 



14 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these, but I'll definitely be looking them up :)

    Thanks for visiting my WWW: https://sarinalangerwriter.com/2016/10/12/www-wednesday-12th-october-2016/

    Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not even remotely want to read Mad About the Boy! Not with that death! But the new movie is definitely on my watchlist!
    Here's my WWW Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to read it, but it was too weird. The baby columns were written a lot earlier though so hopefully they'll still have some of the old spark :D The film was good!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes, to Bridget Jones's Baby...loved the movie. Enjoy your week, and thanks for sharing. Here's MY WWW POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the latest Bridget Jones yet although I've been meaning to since it was published. Happy reading Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been recommended that Penman book by a friend who claims it to be her favourite book ever. I got as far as buying it but the length has always put me off. You've definitely made me think about picking up though...at some point ;)

    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I was more intimidated by all the names and battle details than the length, but it was actually quite an easy read!

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed that you read The Sunne in Splendour in a week - it took me about a month and I thought that was pretty good! I did enjoy it a lot though. I keep wanting to reread it, but have yet to find the time to do so when I don't have several other books on the go already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, a month probably is good, I've just got a lot of time on my hands at the moment! I know, I might go back and re-read bits, read it a bit too fast I think. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry The Prestige wasn't your favorite. One of those rare times the movie was better, huh? Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was alright, just not really my thing - I don't think it was ever going to live up to the film for me, haha. Thanks!

      Delete